Sunday, November 28, 2010

Simply Pork Roast





Sundays used to be roast day in my Mom's house. Sometimes I do it, most times I don't, but I had too much to do today, so I decided: roast in my slow cooker, with a few different, but easy to prepare sides: sweet potato and spaghetti squash. The beauty of the slow cooker is that it does all the work for you and there`s hardly any clean up. There`s some Grey Cup watching to do tonight, so there won`t be time to clean! Go Als Go!


The night before, I brined my pork so that it's extra juicy. In a bowl, add a nice amount of salt, pepper, coriander seeds, rosemary, lemon and limes, and enough water to cover the roast.


For the roast you'll need:

1 small pork loin roast

1 tbsp rosemary

half a cinnamon stick

fresh dill

1 clove of garlic, chopped

a few tsps of beef stock powder

1-2 cups water

flour (to thicken sauce).


1. Whisk water with all dry stuff in your slow cooker pot.

2. Add roast, set on low for 6 hours.

3. With 3 hours left to cook, add chunks of pealed sweet potato.

4. Use the juices from the slow cooker to make a gravy: just strain into a pot and reduce on the stove top, add butter and whisk in some flour if it needs to be thicker.


For the spaghetti squash:

1. Cut in half, clean out seeds and brush with olive oil, salt and pepper.

2. In a lasagna dish, put an inch of water, then put squash flesh side down.

3. Bake at 350 for an hour.

4. Allow to cool slightly, then strip flesh out with a fork. It will look like spaghetti noodles....s & p and voila!



Moolicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment